Re: XBMC/Kodi? Anybody actually using this on Debian?

Hi Ronald,

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:31:35 -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> I have a reasonably fresh (<1 month old) install of Debian.  Today, I
> became root and did the following:
>
> apt-get install xbmc

You are not saying which release you are using so I guess you are running
the latest stable release, which will most likely be wheezy:

https://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/

It was released in may 2013. There obviously was not enough time to get
at least 12.0 into the release, given that wheezy was frozen on June 30th
in 2012:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/06/msg00009.html

The current development release has XBMC 13.2 which will also be in the
upcoming jessie release of the Debian distribution.

If you want to run newer software on a Debian system based on stable (aka
the released version), you have to look at backports:

http://backports.debian.org/

Debian stable is often quite a bit behind in terms of current software
versions. That's the price for being well tested when released. I regard
that as an advantage given that one often can get the new stuff from
backports if really needed.

> It came up alright, but the mouse seemed to be sluggish.  So I popped
> over to the XBMC "System info" tab and had a look see...

Maybe your X11 driver does not use the hardware acceleration of your
video adapter?!

> The second thing I noticed probably explains why the mouse seemed a tad
> sluggish... Both cores on my dual core system were pegged at 94-95%
> utilization.
>
> Again I ask... What's up with that?
>
> Seems rather seriously broken to me.

So that does top show about the offending process while your load is that
high?

> My system:
>
> AMD A4-6300 APU ASUS A78M-A motherboard ASUS VH238H (1080p) monitor.

I have to admit that I don't know the status of AMD A4 support in Debian.
Googling gave this as a hint that this may be the problem:

Greetings, Torsten