Re: So much for a wheezy install, massive fail

On Wednesday 21 January 2015 16:29:45 Bob Proulx did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Bob Proulx did opine
> >
> > > You seem to believe that the Wheezy debian-installer does not
> > > handle the new Advanced Format 4k sectors.  However I use it all
> > > of the time with 4k sectors and it works fine.  There is no known
> > > problem using the Wheezy debian-installer to install onto AF 4k
> > > sector devices.
> > >
> > > Sorry but I believe you are mistaken on this issue.  If you find
> > > the debian-install mishandling 4k sector devices please file a bug
> > > report with sufficient information to debug the problem.
> >
> > Go ahead and install its way, then run an fdisk -l and read the
> > result, confirmed by quite slow readings from hdparm -tT on the
> > drive you just installed it to.
>
> What problem are you seeing?  Details?
>
> I might suggest that fdisk hasn't kept up and isn't the best tool for
> the task these days.  It may be getting confused by the newer
> partition tables.  This may be causing it to emit bad information.
>
> In many ways I don't like parted but I think it handles the new
> formats best.
>
>   parted /dev/sda unit s print
>
> > URL for the bug reporter?
>
> Here you go.
>
>   https://www.debian.org/Bugs/

Thanks.

gene@coyote:~/Downloads$ parted /dev/sdb unit s print
WARNING: You are not superuser.  Watch out for permissions.
Model: ATA ST1000VX000-1CU1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1953525168s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start       End          Size         File system     Name  Flags
 1      16384s      112656383s   112640000s   ext4                  boot
 2      112656384s  215056383s   102400000s   linux-swap(v1)
 3      215062155s  317460464s   102398310s   ext4
 4      317460465s  1953520064s  1636059600s  ext4

> Bob

Which it is not complaining about.  BUT that is not how I spent an hour
partitioning it last night, zero resemblance, partitions 2 & 3 were
specced with  50G's for swap and /, the last, big one is /home.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)