Re: So much for a wheezy install, massive fail

On 20/01/15 06:43 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 20 January 2015 13:03:50 Gary Dale did opine
And Gene did reply:
On 20/01/15 09:37 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Greetings;

I just started to do a wheezy 2.8 install on a disk with 4k sectors,
this after researching and finding a partitioner utility that DOES
know about 4k/sector disks.  That is gdisk. which found the gparted
setup and fixed it, all I had to do was write it to the disk.,
gparted, an old version is not capable of aligning things correctly.

So the disk is all partitioned and formatted but empty.

Now I find I cannot bypass the disk partitioner in the installer, nor
can I force it to use these partitions on the hilited drive   This
is using the installer in "expert" mode.

    It will not let me change the "do not use" when I hilite a
    partition and

hit enter.  It doesn't even acknowledge the mount points "/boot" and
"/" already set.

This is less than a desirable thing.

How can I both bypass the broken partitioner, AND force it to use the
partitions it finds on the hilited drive?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
The installer takes you into the screen to select partitions. All you
have to do is tell it which partitions to use for what. It will default
to formatting them, I believe, but you can tell it not to format. It's
not that user-unfriendly.
I'll nominate that for the understatement of the decade.
GPT partition tables include a legacy partition table so it works with
older software.

Sorry I've got no screen prints to show you, but if you can figure out
how to switch the partition from "do not use" to ext4 or whatever file
system you prefer, the rest should be easy.

None of this is rocket science.
No problem selecting the ext4 filesystem, but it was not possible to
remove the Do Not Use string.  One could hilite it, which turned the red
text blue, but nothing else could be done to it.

I finally just let it do as it pleased, because selecting a separate /home
partition just put me in a loop that went around 3 times before I said
tohell with it, its gonna do it its way or hit the road jack.

So what it did do is broken:

gene@coyote:/boot$ sudo gdisk /dev/sdb
[sudo] password for gene:
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.5.1

Partition table scan:
   MBR: MBR only
   BSD: not present
   APM: not present
   GPT: not present

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format.
THIS OPERATON IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! Exit by typing 'q' if
you don't want to convert your MBR partitions to GPT format!

Command (? for help): pDisk /dev/sdb: 1953525168 sectors, 931.5 GiB
Disk identifier (GUID): 5B8BD148-8604-0C54-28D4-BA5816BF1F23
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 1953525134
Total free space is 7533 sectors (3.7 MiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
    1            2048        19531775   9.3 GiB     0700  Linux/Windows
data
    5        19533824        53078015   16.0 GiB    8200  Linux swap
    6        53080064      1953523711   906.2 GiB   0700  Linux/Windows
data

Command (? for help): w

Which it did, supposedly fixing the alignment issues.  Unfortunately, it
also made the drive disappear entirely.
/dev/sdc1: UUID="1321fc90-ba7a-4742-8176-f7b3a8284be5" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdc2: LABEL="amandatapes-1-T" UUID="b7657920-d9a2-4379-
ae21-08a0651b65cc" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="ububoot" UUID="f54ba7af-1545-43f3-a86e-bfc0017b4526"
SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="uburoot" UUID="ec677e9c-6be6-4311-b97b-3889d42ce6ef"
TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda3: UUID="edc2880e-257d-4521-8220-0df5b57dcae4" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdd1: LABEL="home2" UUID="7601432d-7a30-42a3-80b5-57f08ae71f2a"
TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdd2: LABEL="opt2" UUID="748b01e1-ae7b-4b17-b8e9-c88429bcefbf"
TYPE="ext4"

Since its in a quick change cage, as /dev/sdb, plz note its missing above.
My elderly copy of gparted, 5.something, can find it, but cannot initiate
a write operation, it all fails.

So a broken install that took about 9 hours since I had to ok every thing
it wanted to do, is now history.  I am not going back to fedora as I
detest being a damned guinea pig in a cage, serving as a lab rat, who if
killed, just gets replaced by another.  They officially don't have a
quarter to call someone who might care.  And I had the impression there
might be more than the 5 or so that have replied to me in the last week or
so.  To those folks, a thank you and a tip of my hat.

I have no clue what to look at next, but 2 broken wheezy installs
destroyed is enough. Maybe someone on the emc list I cc:'d here has a
better idea.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
It seems apparent that you don't understand how to use the installer. You seem to be trying to do the wrong things with the installer options. You can remove options from the list. You can only select the one you want. If you have selected Ext4 then the Do not use option is no longer selected, even if it remains on the list.

You don't have to let it "do what it pleases". The installer doesn't go around in loops, but it does expect you to make reasonable choices. For example, if you select to not have a swap partition, it will ask you to confirm that choice. If you tell it no, then it will take you back to the partitioner.

The only other possible source for your problems is a corrupt installer. Did you verify the disk image before using it?