debian utilities for this issue?

Hi all,
Here is the problem.
While I am exploring solutions in a number of arenas, I thought I would ask here too. An associated recorded some material I require for a production to their hdpvr unit. I amt old that the material can be exported to an external hard drive, which is no issue.
The challenge seems to be playing the mpg format on another device.
Naturally the parent company of her satellites service Bell Canada, indicates that you can only play the material on their specific unit, which would make archiving anything a bit counter productive. My google indicates that there are many Linux tools for playing pvr recordings in mpg format. am I reasonably correct in my understanding that if I have this associate transfer the materials onto an external drive for me, playing them will be possible?
Thanks,
Kare