Re: Was: Ric Moore

On Monday 19 January 2015 14:42:01 Joe did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 04:54:57 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > But that leads to the next logical question:  What's the difference
> > between using apt-get to do that, and synaptic?
> >
> > Synaptic would have literally torn down the system, removing libc6,
> > most of build-essentials among many many others.  I like synaptic,
> > but that difference is an eye opener for sure.
>
> By default, Synaptic arrives with everything turned on: it does a
> full-upgrade/dist-upgrade, it treats recommends as dependencies, etc.
>
> All of this can be disabled, just as it can be enabled in apt-get or
> aptitude.

Found that in the prefs.  Unfortunately I sic'd a root session of htop out
to kill it 10 minutes later as it was frozen, using 96 to 98% of a cpu
core steadily.  Ran it with a sudo as usual, but a sigterm was of no
effect, had to use a sigkill. And when restarted, nothing had been
changed. twice in a row just to check.

Is this known in synaptic-0.63.1?

> Horses for courses: they all do the same basic job, but with slightly
> different features. If I want to install, remove or purge a single
> application I know about, or do a routine upgrade, I normally use
> aptitude non-interactively. Nearly all my upgrade work is with
> unstable, and that does get into difficult situations from time to
> time, when some packages can't be upgraded without significant
> removals. I usually switch to Synaptic then, in which I find I can
> most easily set up the combinations of upgradable packages which work.
>
> I upgrade my unstable workstation pretty much every day, but I have
> three or four other unstables which are used much more rarely, and get
> upgraded every few months, when I have the time. Aptitude is good at
> sorting out dependencies, supposedly still better than apt-get, but if
> you throw five or six hundred upgrades at it, it does often freak out
> and it sits there literally for hours working out combinations... so
> for these large-scale upgrades, an apt-get upgrade followed by a
> dist-upgrade seems to be the optimal choice. I don't generally do these
> occasional upgrades while there is a pending problem with unstable, so
> I don't usually have difficulties.

While I seem to have an attractant for them. :(

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)