Re: debian utilities for this issue?

Karen Lewellen wrote:
> The challenge seems to be playing the mpg format on another device.
> My google indicates that there are many Linux tools for playing pvr
> recordings in mpg format.

Yes.

> am I reasonably correct in my understanding that if I have this associate
> transfer the materials onto an external drive for me, playing  them will be
> possible?

You need to try it.  Because mpg is a container holding media
streams.  The mpg container can definitely be opened by all of the
utilities.  The question is what encoding is used by the media
stream.  It is likely it is encoded with a codec that can be played
with no trouble.  Quite likely.  But it is also possible that it is
encoded with something that isn't easily decoded.  Until you find out
the specifics it isn't possible to say.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec#Commonly_used_video_codecs

Therefore the only way to have an actual answer is to try it.  If it
does not play then come back and ask saying what encoding is actually
being used.  There might be a way to either add a decoder for it or to
transcode it into something more friendly.

Bob