Re: Was: Ric Moore

On Monday 19 January 2015 01:24:35 Mart van de Wege did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> writes:
> > On Sunday 18 January 2015 18:21:02 Mart van de Wege did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:

> >> apt-get remove network-manager seems to work just fine for me.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >
> > I have attempted that, several times in the past 5 or 6 years.  The
> > list of stuff it will also remove is usually several printed pages,
> > IF you could actually get a printout.
>
> Eh, no?
>
> mvdwege@gaheris:~$ apt-cache rdepends network-manager | wc -l
> 40
>
> And that includes all packages for which nm is a dependency, not just
> a hard Depends: *and* i386 packages (I run multi-arch).
>
> And note that that this is an rdepends search. I have only 4 of those
> 40 packages installed (and 2 of those only by accident).
>
> And taking a look at the list, there's a lot of non-essential stuff on
> there. About the only thing I'd consider anything near 'essential' is
> evolution, and that is only a Suggests: dependency.
>
> > Unfortunately, you can't even copy/paste for a record from that
> > screen by any method but a screen snapshot series.
>
> What is so difficult about 'select text, middle button paste'?

Thats on a pulldown somewhere? I am used to mouse highliting it, but the
subsequent paste is always empty.

> I really wanted to cut you some slack, but I am forced to conclude that
> your problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

And historical as I was using synaptic.  I just tried your cli based call
above, it listed only 10 packages, none of which were important to me, or
used that I am aware of, and 3 of those were duplicates.

So I did an apt-get remove. I still have a network, yaayyyy!

This install came with a custom rtai patched, non-pae kernel, based on
ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS(Lucid) but as there is not any machinery attached to
this machine, I have found that a 3.16.0 SMT kernel with 32 PAE is quite
sufficient to run the simulator version when developing gcode for the real
machinery.  The mode is rt-prempt.  But regardless of the kernel, the
simulated version will not run on wheezy.  But another experiment was to
install a 64 bit kernel based on 3.4-9-amd64.  That ran everything, faster
and smoother than this machine has ever run before.  So I may see if I can
build the amd64 version of this 3.16.0.  Separate project from this
though.

But that leads to the next logical question:  What's the difference
between using apt-get to do that, and synaptic?

Synaptic would have literally torn down the system, removing libc6, most
of build-essentials among many many others.  I like synaptic, but that
difference is an eye opener for sure.

> Mart

Thanks Mart.  Now I know how to cure that headache.  And will do exactly
that on my next install.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)