Re: video chat in gmail using iceweasel is not working

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 12:42 AM, tv.debian <tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On the 19/01/2015 06:02, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>> Hardware:
>> rajulocal@hogwarts ~ % lsusb
>> Bus 006 Device 003: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000
>
> Some series of this webcam have intermittent problems due to a firmware bug,
> they can "disappear" from system or otherwise freeze/crash applications. You
> can see [1] as a starting point for investigation.
> If your device is affected you can try unplugging the webcam,
> unloading/reloading uvcvideo, and replugging the webcam. Effect of the bug
> is not persistent over a reboot, but survives a sleep/wake-up cycle.

I never had problems with this device in the past. It works fine on
windows and with skype. I have also participated in some video
conferences using this camera and never had any problems. The problem
started only recently when I upgraded the packages.

FWIW, I get

"A plugin is needed to display this content."

error even when I go to https://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ ,
https://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/authorwareonly.html . Since
this has nothing to do with the webcam, I believe the problem is in
the software rather than hardware.

>> [...trim]
>> System configuration:
>> I am using a mix of Debian Jessie and Wheezy
>>
>> The complete list of insalled packages can be found at
>>
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-OMw5Fsje3kWHFESENPQ3RFSXM/view?usp=sharing
>> which is generated by running
>> $ dpkg -l | grep ^ii
>>
>> But here are the main ones
>> rajulocal@hogwarts ~ % dpkg -l iceweasel google\* \*flash\* | grep ^ii
>> ii  flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.6.1            amd64        Adobe Flash
>> Player - browser plugin
>> ii  google-talkplugin   5.38.6.0-1         amd64        Google Talk Plugin
>> ii  iceweasel           31.4.0esr-1~deb7u1 amd64        Web browser
>> based on Firefox
>>
>> Question:
>> Is video chat in gmail using iceweasel working for anyone running
>> Jessie? If so, can you please share your list of installed packages?
>> This way I can compare version numbers and narrow down the problematic
>> version of the package.
>
> It was working for me as of last week-end, with Iceweasel "esr" on a
> Jessie/Sid amd64 updated.

Can you please upload the output of
$ dpkg -l | grep ^ii
to some place I can look at?

Do you get any error when you visit,
https://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ ,
https://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/authorwareonly.html in
iceweasel?

> Note that due to a recent change you have to explicitly allow the
> googletalk/hangout plugin to run, either every time you want to use video
> chat or choosing "always allow". Firefox/Iceweasel should pop up a warning
> about this, or display some sort of lego block immediatly on the left of the
> URL in the URL bar. If you click on the "Lego" block you should be given the
> option. At least it works like this here.

Yes, I verified that "Google Talk" is enabled on mail.google.com
website. So that is not the issue.