Re: video chat in gmail using iceweasel is not working

On the 19/01/2015 06:02, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
When I try to do a video chat in gmail, the video is not working. It
used to work a while ago and stopped working recently. This is most
likely due to updating some of the packages. I am trying to narrow
down the problematic package.

Symptom:
In gmail -> settings -> Chat -> Voice and video chat -> Verify your settings ->

The "Camera:" section shows UVC Camera (046d:0990). However, instead
of displaying the video from the webcam, it shows

"A plugin is needed to display this content."

Hardware:
rajulocal@hogwarts ~ % lsusb
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 046d:0990 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 9000
Some series of this webcam have intermittent problems due to a firmware bug, they can "disappear" from system or otherwise freeze/crash applications. You can see [1] as a starting point for investigation. If your device is affected you can try unplugging the webcam, unloading/reloading uvcvideo, and replugging the webcam. Effect of the bug is not persistent over a reboot, but survives a sleep/wake-up cycle.

[...trim]
System configuration:
I am using a mix of Debian Jessie and Wheezy

The complete list of insalled packages can be found at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-OMw5Fsje3kWHFESENPQ3RFSXM/view?usp=sharing
which is generated by running
$ dpkg -l | grep ^ii

But here are the main ones
rajulocal@hogwarts ~ % dpkg -l iceweasel google\* \*flash\* | grep ^ii
ii  flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.6.1            amd64        Adobe Flash
Player - browser plugin
ii  google-talkplugin   5.38.6.0-1         amd64        Google Talk Plugin
ii  iceweasel           31.4.0esr-1~deb7u1 amd64        Web browser
based on Firefox

Question:
Is video chat in gmail using iceweasel working for anyone running
Jessie? If so, can you please share your list of installed packages?
This way I can compare version numbers and narrow down the problematic
version of the package.
It was working for me as of last week-end, with Iceweasel "esr" on a Jessie/Sid amd64 updated.

Note that due to a recent change you have to explicitly allow the googletalk/hangout plugin to run, either every time you want to use video chat or choosing "always allow". Firefox/Iceweasel should pop up a warning about this, or display some sort of lego block immediatly on the left of the URL in the URL bar. If you click on the "Lego" block you should be given the option. At least it works like this here.

thanks in advance
raju

Hope it helps.

[1] http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/#footnote-6