Re: An experiment in backup

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 08:08:27AM -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> > > I don't know how.
> > >

> > startx
> >

> > I did
> sudo startx
> Hmmm.  This should be telling me something, but I don't know exactly what.
> It does not come up, but the messages on the screen of the console session
> end with

> setversion 1.4 failed: Permission denied.

You shouldn't need root permission to run startx.  Running startx as a
user should just bring you into your default desktop environment.  It
will not load the login manager (GDM, KDM, etc).

I take back my previous answer.  When I do this as a normal user, I get a black screen for a while, but eventually I get a cursor I'd describe as a hollow X.  I can move it around the screen, but not do anything else.  No buttons bring up menus.  There are no widgets on screen.

I take it that X is running, but there are no clients.