Re: An experiment in backup

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 3:54 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a tar backup of the entire system, excluding /sys, /proc and /dev.
> I have a tar backup of a bind-mount of /dev.
> These were taken while the system was running, but quiet. I did it this
> way because I cannot get the system to boot into single user mode. Putting
> "single" on the end of the "linux" like results in a black screen.
>
> I restored these, created /sys and /proc, and tried to boot the resulting
> partition. It boots, but X does not come up, or even seem to try. I can do
> a console login to my usual account, and stuff is there.

What commands did you run to back up and restore the system?

For the Linux part (there's also Windows on some of my machines) it's all tar.

Is '/tmp' a tmpfs filesystem? If not, did you back up and restore it?

It's a subdirectory of /, not a mount point on the machine in question.

Did you exclude '/run'? If not, did you restore it?
I exclude /var/run and /var/lock

Did you create '/proc' and '/sys' with the right ownership and mode?

Hmm.  They appear right. 755 owned by root.

If this is a Debian system, is it a non-standard install that doesn't
use udev (AFAIK this is still possible)? If not, there's no point in
backing up and restoring '/dev'.

It's vanilla Xubuntu.  I back up and restore what's on the hard drive via a bind mount.
I wasn't convinced there wasn't something in the boot process that needed it.

If this is an Ubuntu system, the default '(recovery)' grub entry will
have 'nomodeset' appended. Try that when you add 'single'.

Are you using a DM?
 A what? Xubuntu uses xfce4 if that answers the question.

Are you using a WM or a DE?
A what?

Have you looked at the logs? Especially Xorg.0.log and xsessions-errors.
Xorg logs seem normal
I don't see any xsessions-errors file

Can you launch X after logging in to the console?

I don't know how.