Re: upgrade from wheezy to jessie

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 01:35:48PM +0000, Joe wrote:
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 13:35:48 +0000
> From: Joe <joe@jretrading.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: upgrade from wheezy to jessie
>
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 13:48:10 +0100
> Gerard ROBIN <g.robin3@free.fr> wrote:
>

> > I agree with you regarding jessie, I installed it on a USB drive and
> > it works fine with systend, but but what concerns me is the
> > transition from sysvinit to systemd on wheezy. If I understand what I
> > read on the web (in English ...) it may be that my machine will not
> > boot if I do not do the job well.
> >
> The main issue is that anything local mounted in /etc/fstab (even
> removable drives) will be treated as essential, and if they are not
> there, boot will fail. The answer is either to remove any such drives
> from fstab, as the kernel automounting should be good enough now to do
> the job consistently, or to mark them as not being required for boot.
> The fstab syntax for systemd has been extended quite a bit.
>
> But yes, I moved three sid systems from sysvinit to systemd, the two
> simpler systems were fine, the much larger main workstation
> installation had sufficient minor problems that I felt it better to
> reinstall. Not something you want to do with a server.

Ok, I got my feet wet :

~# apt-get install  systemd-sysv

You are about to do something potentially harmful.
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'

~# Yes, do as I say!

~# apt-get install sysv-rc-conf

and after that wheezy has booted like a charm. Luke

Thanks to everyone who replied.

--
Gerard
*  Created with "mutt 1.5.21-6.2+deb7u2"  *