Re: upgrade from wheezy to jessie

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 01:27:35PM +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 13:27:35 +0100
> From: Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: upgrade from wheezy to jessie
>
> On 06/01/15 13:12, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 06 Jan 2015 at 12:11:48 +0100, Gerard ROBIN wrote:
> >
> >> usually when the distribution changes, I update my system rather than
> >> reinstall everything. But for the transition from wheezy to jessie,
> >> I would like to know:
> >>
> >> -1- Is it possible to go from wheezy to jessie, keeping sysvinit.
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system
> >
> > An alternative for you is to install sysvinit-core after updating but
> > before upgrading.
> >

> There's an awful lot of FUD spread on the internet (and, sadly, even on
> this list), mostly engendered by bigotry against the systemd author(s).
>
> My advice would be to go with the minimum effort upgrade, as you would
> have done in the past. I've been running Jessie in a KVM client for
> several months now, with zero problems.

I agree with you regarding jessie, I installed it on a USB drive and
it works fine with systend, but but what concerns me is the transition
from sysvinit to systemd on wheezy. If I understand what I read on the
web (in English ...) it may be that my machine will not boot if I do
not do the job well.

--
Gerard
*  Created with "mutt 1.5.21-6.2+deb7u2"  *