Re: Late authentication

On 2015-01-05, August Karlstrom <fusionfile@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2015-01-04 17:30, August Karlstrom wrote:
>> I run Debian Wheezy with a simple window manager (Blackbox). If I
>> remember correctly, in Ubuntu some applications like Synaptic and Update
>> Manager ask for sudo password only when/if needed.
>>
>> How do I configure the system so I can launch for instance Update
>> Manager as normal user, check if there are any updates available and
>> then provide the sudo password only if the system is to be updated? As
>> Far as I understand the authentication is handled by Polkit.
>
> I tried adding the file
> /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/test.pkla with the content
> below (and restarting X) but it made no difference; update-manager still
> asks for root password when launched.
>
> $ sudo cat /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/test.pkla
> [test]
> Identity=unix-group:sudo
> Action=org.debian.apt.update-cache
> ResultActive=yes
>

> -- August

Some things to check:

- Are the file name "test.pkla" and the group name "test" unique?
- Does the unix group "sudo" exist, and are you a member thereof?
- Has the action "org.debian.apt.update-cache" been defined? (Look under
  /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/.)
- Is dbus-daemon running during your Blackbox session?

--

Liam