Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On 12/10/2014 at 10:14 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 10 dec 14, 09:29:17, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> For such a user, this is not a systemd-centric question; it is a
>> Debian-centric one, and the responsibility of having caused it and
>> for fixing it is on Debian. Debian chose to switch to systemd, and
>> that switch introduced this bug; it is therefore Debian's "fault"
>> that this regression occurred, and Debian's responsibility to see
>> to it that the regression is fixed.
>
> In my not so humble opinion, one should be using such a switch to
> re-examine one's setup, practices, etc. You might discover some
> "interesting" stuff.

The strength of the "most people neither know nor care what init system
they're running" argument in the systemd-as-default debates lies in the
idea that such people do not want to have to even be aware of, much less
pay attention to, the switch or to the init system.

If the switch means that such people have to - or even that they should
- pay attention to that underpinning of their system, then that argument
loses most or not all of its strength.

Which comes back to one of my other points from another angle: if
systemd's support for sysvinit's functionality (including its
interfaces) is sufficiently poor that people will notice these types of
things without going looking for them, then no matter how much
additional functionality systemd provides, it cannot yet be considered a
full replacement for sysvinit.

> As far as I'm concerned:
>
> 1. I'll be looking into disabling periodic checks on all my ext4
> partitions[1], in line with the not so new mkfs defaults.
>
> 2. As has been pointed out in this thread, interrupting or completely
> skipping the check after unclean umount is *dangerous* and can lead
> to data loss.

A: That's only on unclean unmount, not for a scheduled (but still
potentially unexpected) boot-time fsck.

B: You should still have the option to do it anyway, based on your own
assessment of the risk trade-offs in doing so.

--
   The Wanderer