Re: Skipping fsck during boot with systemd?

On Wed 10 Dec 2014 at 13:26:57 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 10 dec 14, 13:04:16, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > Of course, there's also the option of completely disabling automatic
> > fsck (there are several ways to do this), as I understand is the default
> > for new enough filesystems. This would make more sense for me on systems
> > with bad power (you'd still get the "bad shutdown" check).
>
> I was curious about this so I tested on a filesystem created with
> 'dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile' and 'mkfs.ext4 testfile'. dumpe2fs reports
>
> Maximum mount count:      -1
> Check interval:           0 (<none>)

>From /etc/mke2fs.conf:

  enable_periodic_fsck = 0

>From the e2fsprogs changelog:

  * Mke2fs will now create file systems that enable user namespace
      extended attributes and with time- and mount count-based file
      system checks disabled.

 -- Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>  Sat, 02 Jul 2011 22:38:57 -0400

It appears periodic fscks are not regarded as conferring any particular
benefit when using an ext4 file system. One could question why a ^C is
required to interupt something which needn't have been run in the first
place.