Re: There is no choice ...well yes there is

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/2014 01:56 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 06:22:05AM -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>>>

>>> It's just the way they went to go. I have had zero problems with it,
>>> as a mere user. I did my part by installing Jessie fresh, so I
>>> wouldn't be part of the noisy problems on this list with left over
>>> old cruft competing for attention. My reward was a very well running
>>> install, that apparently was well crafted by some very talented
>>> people.
>>>

>> If it's any consolation:
>>
>> I've just run a dist-upgrade on a running Debian wheezy system.
>>
>> For various reasons, I didn't want to wipe the existing configuration of
>> network, firewall settings etc. so didn't do a complete clean install
>> with Jessie Beta 1 media.
>>
>> I managed to break it: my fault, by rebooting part way through the
>> upgrade.
>> This resulted in a dead system because it was still trying to boot with a
>> kernel that was no longer obviously there in place.
>>
>> Rebooting with a Wheezy netinst .iso on USB and chrooting into the part
>> finished
>> install allowed me to run
>>
>>         update-grub
>>
>> which fixed the problem. Result: a running system, running Jessie well and
>> booting
>> quickly. This done well in advance of November's freeze to give me some
>> idea before
>> I update other machines.
>>
>> It woun't kill any detractors to try this and help us find what breaks, to
>> help
>> us to get a Debian system we can all be proud of instead of talking up a
>> storm
>> to complain about things. Experience may also allow us to support
>> alternatives
>> where feasible.
>>
>>> It all just works. Since I paid nothing, I certainly got much more
>>> than my money's worth. I fail to see where we should jerk on their
>>> chains to demand more of their time by hanging here as well, like we
>>> have some right to demand any thing. That just comes off as
>>> presumptuous.
>>>
>>> Keep in mind they have the freedom to walk off this non-paying gig
>>> and to tell us all to go pound sand.
>>>

>> Thanks for the confirmation that someone else got systemd to work
>

> I think you and I experienced the very same thing. It halted during the
> "upgrade" process, refused to continue, so I rebooted to find a kernel-less
> system. It took well over a day to finally recover to the point that I could
> issue update-grub and finally reboot to something that looked like a working
> system. I wore dpkg out.
>
> Later, amid hiccups and burps in the barrel, I got the install DVD and
> re-installed. Nary a blip. It helped previously that I had Ubuntu installed
> to another partition to grab missing packages that didn't make it initially.
> Without networking, you do not proceed to Go. So, I do not recommend the
> [...]

So, let me see if I understand what your subject line means relative
to your post.

Since neither of you seems to be talking about installing without
systemd, it appears that you are saying the only choice anyone needs
is the option to install with systemd?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.