Re: View on UNIX purism in Linux Community

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:48:02 +0200 Martin Steigerwald sent:

> I have mixed thoughts and feelings about systemd… but on the other
> hand I think discussing this further here… is… a waste of time – as
> it won´t change anything.

I'm uncertain if that's correct. It certainly highlights some features
and flaws and peoples preferences and even though it's often
disparaged, imagine that some developers and programmers read posts on
this list relevant to their work.

Anyway I think that the real subject is, as others have said, the
ability to choose.

True freedom is having a choice, and as some have stated, the only
choice they see may be to move to another operating system if Debian
doesn't give them choice within it. But there is always choice.

The default is not a worry. Again, if there is choice to use something
else.

I have never set up a Debian system allowing taskel or whatever, to
select packages for me, so whatever the preferred or default. I choose
my own and I always imagined, probably unrealistically, that most
Debian users did likewise. Like speed signs on road corners, default is
only a recommendation and shouldn't be a challenge. The user should be
able to choose to ignore it, go slower or faster.

Though I'm not a programmer and really know very little about Debian
[as someone once said - the lifetime learning experience] imagine the
installer could present a choice of systemd or sys** whatever? The
wiki could point out advantages and disadvantages of both?

With regard to programmer above, I have no idea how difficult it is to
produce packages that will work with different choices.

So I imagine that we only really need to ask the programmers to give us
who wish to remain with Debian, a choice.

 Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an
	asker of questions. --Sam Keen