Re: There is no choice

Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2014 21 Sep 06:52 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
The issue of the day (week) on debian-devel seems to be systemd-shim --
which kind of has to work for anyone to use an alternate init system; but
seems NOT to work (or at least lag  behind).
When systemd-shim is forced to chase the taillights of systemd, it is
doomed to always lag behind.  As the authors of systemd have apparently
opted not to constrain themselves to a stable/published API or limit the
scope of their project, systemd-shim will always be in catch up mode.

I am most concerned about the systemd project's intention to subsume
many other projects rather than simply be a cooperative member of the
vast Free Software ecosystem.  It seems to me that this is the source of
much of the angst presented here and elsewhere.  To me this is a
troubling attitude that overshadows whatever technical improvement
systemd sought to bring to the Free desktop.  The angst is a natural
reaction to this sort of invasive attitude in what has been mostly a
very cooperative community for the previous 18 years that I have been
working with and using Free Software.  Unfortunately, this attitude and
its product have become a large enough presence that they're no longer
just a routing problem.

For what it's worth - the angst is reflected not just here, but on the debian-devel and the linux-kernel (kernel developers) list as well (I've started monitoring that to see to what extent kernel developers are starting to migrate to distros that haven't adopted systemd, and to which ones - no conclusion yet).

Maybe systemd will give gnu/hurd, or minix, or plan 9 a boost.

Miles Fidelman