Re: boot in console mode from grub2

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 10:21:55PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 05 mai 14, 13:43:54, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > I'm confused. Wasn't what the OP wanted a boot in regular text mode, no
> > GUI, no framebuffer, just ascii codes straight to the monitor? That
> > happens *a long time* before the display manager runs.
>
> The OP said no GUI, but nothing about framebuffer.
>
> [snip]

Ehm, sorry maybe I miss some email about this thread but.. if all the
OP want is just to not start X:

- sysv-init:

  - disable the *dm service
    assuming default runlevel is 2 in /etc/inittab
    eg: # mv /etc/rc2.d/S03lightdm /etc/rc2.d/K03lightdm

  - or edit another runlevel
    eg: do it in /etc/rc3.d then append 3 to grub's kernel command line

- systemd:

  - change the default.target from graphical to multi-user (I'm still
    a newbie of systemd don't know how to change it on Debian in a
    persistent way, should be a symbolic link) but on kernel command
    line you could be able to overwrite the default with
    systemd.unit=multi-user.target

Hope it help.
Cheers

[snip]