Re: boot in console mode from grub2

On Lu, 05 mai 14, 13:43:54, Steve Litt wrote:

> I'm confused. Wasn't what the OP wanted a boot in regular text mode, no
> GUI, no framebuffer, just ascii codes straight to the monitor? That
> happens *a long time* before the display manager runs.

The OP said no GUI, but nothing about framebuffer.

[snip]

> So, what I want to know is, would adding "text" to the end guarantee no
> framebuffer?

No, the string 'text' on the kernel commandline is only interpreted by a
few display manager initscripts it has no influence on how your display
adapter is driven before X takes over.

> On one of my computers, the video card throws a
> framebuffer so strange that my Samsung monitor takes literally 45
> seconds to find it, and by that time most of the boot messages are gone.

If you want help with this please start a separate thread mentioning
video adapter, monitor make and model, kernel version, attach output of
'dmesg', etc.

Kind regards,
Andrei