Re: boot in console mode from grub2

On Mon, 5 May 2014 12:38:57 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 05 mai 14, 04:58:14, Tom H wrote:
> > On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:29 AM, François Patte
> > <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to boot in console mode from the grub screen (ie not
> > > in graphic mode), but I don't want to be in single user mode,
> > > ie.: I want to have a "normal boot" without X.
> > >
> > > I can't find any tuto for grub2 installed on my system.
> >
> > This is a function of initramfs-tools and not of grub.
> >
> > Add "text" to the kernel cmdline.
>
> This is actually a feature implemented in the initscript of some
> display managers. E.g. /etc/init.d/lightdm has this
>
> if grep -wqs text /proc/cmdline; then
>     log_warning_msg "Not starting Light Display Manager (lightdm);
> found 'text' in kernel commandline." [...]
> fi
>
> Last time I looked into it this feature wasn't supported by all
> display managers, most notably kdm.

I'm confused. Wasn't what the OP wanted a boot in regular text mode, no
GUI, no framebuffer, just ascii codes straight to the monitor? That
happens *a long time* before the display manager runs.

Personally, I'm glad that on Debian there's a choice of whether or not
to have a display manager. One thing I love about Debian is I can boot
to CLI, and then choose to run startx (or not). In a previous thread,
the security implications of running startx from a terminal prompt were
completely solved in multiple ways.

So, what I want to know is, would adding "text" to the end guarantee no
framebuffer? On one of my computers, the video card throws a
framebuffer so strange that my Samsung monitor takes literally 45
seconds to find it, and by that time most of the boot messages are gone.

<rant>
Just like there were several different answers to the OP's question in
this thread, there are tens of different, often contradictory, answers
on the web, every one of them thinking *they're* the answer because it
worked on their particular setup. This is an indication of either
abysmal Grub project documentation, or abysmal user interface decisions,
or abysmal code, none of which is good.

It's a shame that in their quest for graphicalization, the Grub people
have made a simple, no gui, no framebuffer boot, like we all took for
granted in 1998, require several hours of web searches and
experimentation to implement on a given distro/videocard/monitor combo.
The minute a bootloader comes along that can do UEFI booting, read the
disk as a filesystem instead of as a sector, and make it reasonably
easy to boot no gui, no framebuffer, I'll be kicking that stupid Grub2
to the curb and never looking back.
</rant>

SteveT