Re: boot in console mode from grub2

On Lu, 05 mai 14, 04:58:14, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:29 AM, François Patte
> <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to boot in console mode from the grub screen (ie not in
> > graphic mode), but I don't want to be in single user mode, ie.: I want
> > to have a "normal boot" without X.
> >
> > I can't find any tuto for grub2 installed on my system.
>
> This is a function of initramfs-tools and not of grub.
>
> Add "text" to the kernel cmdline.

This is actually a feature implemented in the initscript of some display
managers. E.g. /etc/init.d/lightdm has this

if grep -wqs text /proc/cmdline; then
    log_warning_msg "Not starting Light Display Manager (lightdm); found 'text' in kernel commandline."
[...]
fi

Last time I looked into it this feature wasn't supported by all display
managers, most notably kdm.

Kind regards,
Andrei