How to get D-I to put /boot on a flash drive?

If I want / to be on a hard drive and /boot to be on a separate drive
or partition D-I appears to handle this request gracefully.

But if I put / on a hard drive logical partition and /boot on a
bootable flash drive partition, e.g, /dev/sdc1, it appears that there
is no boot loader (e.g,, GRUB or LiLo) that can install itself.

There are very many tutorials on how to get an install image or a live
image onto a bootable flash drive, but I've not been able to find one
that works with the boot info in /boot on a flash drive and the rest
of the system on an HDD partition.

Where should I be looking for information on this issue?

-- Lee