Re: How to get D-I to put /boot on a flash drive?

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 02:28:41AM -0400, Lee Winter wrote:
> If I want / to be on a hard drive and /boot to be on a separate drive
> or partition D-I appears to handle this request gracefully.
>
> But if I put / on a hard drive logical partition and /boot on a
> bootable flash drive partition, e.g, /dev/sdc1, it appears that there
> is no boot loader (e.g,, GRUB or LiLo) that can install itself.
>
> There are very many tutorials on how to get an install image or a live
> image onto a bootable flash drive, but I've not been able to find one
> that works with the boot info in /boot on a flash drive and the rest
> of the system on an HDD partition.
>
> Where should I be looking for information on this issue?

This shouldn't be particularly difficult. You will need to arrange for
/dev/sdc1 to be mounted at /boot and your main partition (I'll presume
it's /dev/sda1) to be mounted at /. If D-I is struggling with that, then
you might want to switch to a terminal (Press Alt+F2) and mount the
flash drive manually, before returning to the installer and performing
the "Install Boot Loader" step.

Next, when asked *where* you want the boot loader installed, you would
say "/dev/sdc", which will put Grub into the MBR of the flash drive and
should make the flash drive bootable.

Now, when you reboot (assuming that your BIOS is set to boot from the
flash drive), Grub will start from the flash drive and find its files
from /dev/sdc1 (there's your menu etc). Selecting a menu entry will load
the kernel from /dev/sda1 and boot should progress fine.