Re: Upgrade debacle........

On Sat, 2014-05-03 at 17:25 +1000, Charlie wrote:
> I don't use gnome, my prejudice is that I have never liked it on my
> desktop, but do like some of its apps.
>
> I think gedit is a gnome app, so I maybe that set into the path of
> something like this problem?

Are you sure you still like the current stable release 3.12.1 from
upstream?

3.12.1 is available by the Debian repositories too, for jessie (testing)
and sid (unstable).

I guess you like this design:
https://screenshots.debian.net/screenshots/g/gedit/10397_large.png

But most GNOME apps and Firefox/Iceweasel too, nowadays come with this
design:
https://screenshots.debian.net/screenshots/g/gedit/10629_large.png

You should consider to use Pluma (it's quasi Gedit), Sublime Text or
Kate in the future.