Re: dirvish still a good choice?

On 03/29/2014 01:32 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM, Mark Neyhart <Mark.Neyhart@akleg.gov> wrote:
>> On 03/28/2014 03:22 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:
>>>
>>> Is Dirvish still a good choice in 2014?
>>>

>> Dirvish just works.  I've been using it for years.
>
> Where is your bank directory?
>
> The example configuration file has /backups but that is not ok
> according to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.
>
> | Applications must never create or require special files or
> | subdirectories in the root directory.

I set it up before I read the FHS, so I used /backups.  If I were to
do it now, I'd probably use /srv/backups.

> Would /var/backups/dirvish be a good choice? The only thing the FHS
> has to say about /var/backups is
>
> | Several directories are 'reserved' in the sense that they
> | must not be used arbitrarily by some new application,
> | since they would conflict with historical and/or local practice.

It's just a personal preference, but I try not to use /var for
anything which has the potential to get really big.  I don't think you
would have a problem with /var/backups/dirvish as long as it was a
mount point for your actual backup volume.

Mark