Re: dirvish still a good choice?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Peter Michaux <petermichaux@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I see in The Debian Administrator's Handbook [1] that Dirvish is
recommended for backups.

Looking at the Dirvish website [2] it seems that the project has been
inactive since 2008. Perhaps Dirvish is such a simple layer over top
of rsync that its been stable and hasn't needed attention in all this
time.

I have been using backuppc for many years now and am completely happy with it. It is perfect if you a) have more than one box to back up, and b) have a box that you can dedicate to (or even semi-dedicate to) backups.

I am not at all familiar with Dirvish, however, the Debian Administrator's Handbook came out in 2012 or 2013, so it was after the last release of Dirvish.

Is Dirvish still a good choice in 2014?

I say give it a shot. If it works for you and doesn't have any obvious issues on bugs.d.o or any obvious security holes, use it in good health. If not, consider another solution.

HTH,
--b