Re: Grub does not recognize lvm physical volume by uuid after restart

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:29:02 -0300
André Nunes Batista <andrenbatista@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's amazing how I am always capable of omitting the most relevant
> info: yes, you correctly guessed, this machine was upgraded before the
> hard-shutdown and is using grub 2.02~beta2-7, so we might be facing
> the same bug. How did you downgrade grub? rescue-cd + chroot?

Yes, annoyingly my Wheezy netboot disc was miles away, so I burned
another, I still had the iso laying around. I think it's a bit hairy to
chroot with a different kernel, but I got away with it for long enough
to run a couple of dpkg downgrades, and carefully avoided doing
anything unnecessary. I needed grub-pc-bin and another, presumably
grub-common, to boot (I was informed that grub-pc-bin could not be
configured without the other, whichever it was) and once it booted I
checked for other 2.02~beta2.7 items and downgraded them also.

>Also,
> which bug number was assigned to you bug report?

Mine is 741652, but I had previously found 741464 which refers to a boot
problem with grub 2.02~beta2.7. It's not the same problem but I thought
the same treatment was worth a try, as I could see from the dates that
the upgrade had just occurred on my system.

> BTW, I'm using ext4 both on / and /home partition so the problem might
> not be related to the filesystem of choice.

OK, though if it's now affecting jessie, I'd expect to see more people
catching it. But even today,
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=grub-pc-bin&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
is returning 2.00-22 for jessie. Possibly a good thing, as if you don't
have the older version in your cache, it's much easier to get from
jessie than by poking around in the snapshots. I don't clear my sid
cache very often...

--
Joe