Re: Grub does not recognize lvm physical volume by uuid after restart

On Sat, 2014-03-22 at 21:29 +0000, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:27:54 -0300
> André Nunes Batista <andrenbatista@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello dear debian users!
> >
> > Recently, one jessie notebook I administer went through a forceful
> > shutdown (holding down the power button) and after that grub cannot
> > see the lvm physical volume by uuid. After trying to load the volume
> > for some seconds, it gives the following message and drops to a
> > minimal initramfs shell:
> >
> > Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
> > - Boot args
> >  - check rootdelay=(long enough?)
> >  - check root=(right device?)
> > - Missing modules
> > ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/090f9d09g0f9g-xx-xxxxxx does not exist.
> > Dropping to a shell
> >
> > Using this minimal shell I'm able to go to this path and it actually
> > does not contain any reference to this physical volume. Also,
> > on /dev/mapper/ there is no reference to the root and home logical
> > volumes, but there is a reference to the swap logical volume.
> >
> > Using a live distribution I had no problem mounting this volume and
> > accessing its contents, so no real damage, but I would be glad on some
> > pointers on how to make grub recognize it again. I've tried booting
> > "by-id" and old school "/dev/sdaX" directly but had no luck.
> >
> > It was once installed using the default guided lvm partition from
> > debian installer.
> >

> Hi André,
>
> Could you please confirm which version of grub-pc-bin you are running?
>
> I have recently had something very similar happen to an upgraded sid
> installation, that was fixed by downgrading to the previous version of
> this and other grub files. I have reported the bug but still do not
> know if the issue is with the grub files directly or whether there is
> an interaction with something else.
>
> I could only see my one non-LVM partition and also the swap partition
> within the LVM volume, but none of the other LVM partitions. I got the
> same messages you are seeing.
>
> The version of grub-pc-bin I had trouble with is the (sid) current
> 2.02~beta2-7, the version I downgraded to is 2.00-22, but that one is
> shown on the Debian packages page as the current version in jessie.
>
> If you still have 2.00-22 then this is a red herring, and the problem
> lies somewhere else, and I will amend the bug report.
>
> But 2.02~beta2-7 is still in sid, and about the right time has elapsed
> for it to be moved to jessie. If that has happened, and the packages
> page has not yet registered the fact, then you should be able to
> temporarily fix things by going back to 2.00-22.
>
> Out of curiosity, what filesystem(s) are you using in the LVM? I would
> have expected many more reports of this problem, but I am using
> reiserfs (a legacy from a long time ago) and it may be that not many
> other people are.
>
> --
> Joe

Hello Joe!

It's amazing how I am always capable of omitting the most relevant info:
yes, you correctly guessed, this machine was upgraded before the
hard-shutdown and is using grub 2.02~beta2-7, so we might be facing the
same bug. How did you downgrade grub? rescue-cd + chroot? Also, which
bug number was assigned to you bug report?

BTW, I'm using ext4 both on / and /home partition so the problem might
not be related to the filesystem of choice.

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80