Re: Grub does not recognize lvm physical volume by uuid after restart

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:27:54 -0300
André Nunes Batista <andrenbatista@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello dear debian users!
>
> Recently, one jessie notebook I administer went through a forceful
> shutdown (holding down the power button) and after that grub cannot
> see the lvm physical volume by uuid. After trying to load the volume
> for some seconds, it gives the following message and drops to a
> minimal initramfs shell:
>
> Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
> - Boot args
>  - check rootdelay=(long enough?)
>  - check root=(right device?)
> - Missing modules
> ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/090f9d09g0f9g-xx-xxxxxx does not exist.
> Dropping to a shell
>
> Using this minimal shell I'm able to go to this path and it actually
> does not contain any reference to this physical volume. Also,
> on /dev/mapper/ there is no reference to the root and home logical
> volumes, but there is a reference to the swap logical volume.
>
> Using a live distribution I had no problem mounting this volume and
> accessing its contents, so no real damage, but I would be glad on some
> pointers on how to make grub recognize it again. I've tried booting
> "by-id" and old school "/dev/sdaX" directly but had no luck.
>
> It was once installed using the default guided lvm partition from
> debian installer.

Hi André,

Could you please confirm which version of grub-pc-bin you are running?

I have recently had something very similar happen to an upgraded sid
installation, that was fixed by downgrading to the previous version of
this and other grub files. I have reported the bug but still do not
know if the issue is with the grub files directly or whether there is
an interaction with something else.

I could only see my one non-LVM partition and also the swap partition
within the LVM volume, but none of the other LVM partitions. I got the
same messages you are seeing.

The version of grub-pc-bin I had trouble with is the (sid) current
2.02~beta2-7, the version I downgraded to is 2.00-22, but that one is
shown on the Debian packages page as the current version in jessie.

If you still have 2.00-22 then this is a red herring, and the problem
lies somewhere else, and I will amend the bug report.

But 2.02~beta2-7 is still in sid, and about the right time has elapsed
for it to be moved to jessie. If that has happened, and the packages
page has not yet registered the fact, then you should be able to
temporarily fix things by going back to 2.00-22.

Out of curiosity, what filesystem(s) are you using in the LVM? I would
have expected many more reports of this problem, but I am using
reiserfs (a legacy from a long time ago) and it may be that not many
other people are.

--
Joe