Re: cdimage.debian.org how-to? what gives? xxx

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:31:29AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Debian has a tradition of valuing highly the idea of never having to do
> a complete new install in order to move to the next release. The name
> for this feature has drifted about but is currently 'dist-upgrade'.
> To move to Jessie from Wheezy, one follows a sequence of steps that
> prepares wheezy for dist-upgrade, then edits one's sources.list to
> replace every occurrence of 'wheezy' with 'jessie', then actually doing
> dist-upgrade using apt-get, aptitude, or whatever.... This drill, in
> the hands of a skilled user, can be executed very quickly, but ...
> in practice, for me ... not so much. I don't claim to be skilled.

As you rightly say, opinions have changed over the years. At one time,
the apt-get sources lists referenced stable. This is fine, except when
Debian released a new major version and everyone's installed system
broke on upgrade that day

Release names were orgininally a convenience internally: the great
advantage is that these remain constant for the life of a release
from testing -> stable -> oldstable so use of these makes life easier.

_ALWAYS_ read the release notes when moving from one major version
of Debian to another.

> My approach is: Every uncommented line in sources.list calls out a
> repository, (primary, or mirrored) that is searched for packages. If
> you don't want to search a particular repository, don't include it,
> or comment it. During a dist-upgrade one needs only lines for the new
> release, being installed. Searching for old release packages is a
> waste of time and compute cycles. The details drift over time as
> the internet changes, and grows.
>

>From an install made the other day - minus one line inserted in error
which referenced the CD from which it was installed - between ==

==

#

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

# wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

==

One repository for binaries per line: corresponding entry for source underneath.

This isntall had included non-free repositories when asked because I knew that
this hardware needed non-free wifi and Ethernet card drivers.

This line should work while wheezy is the current stable release and until it
drops out of support as oldstable.

[Steve Litt wrote: ]

> > Some time, after I truly understand the ins and outs of Debian
> > versions, downloads, backports, and the like, I'll write a document to
> > explain it, clearly, in one place, for the new Debian user.

It is there, but most people never need to look for the lifetime of one
installed system.

> I sense that there is a lot of diversity of opinion about the details.
> I think you will find it hard to satisfy holders of all opinions, but
> it is a worthy goal, IMHO.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Paul E Condon