Re: Time Zone Questions

On 3/21/2014 5:35 PM, John Hasler wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Atomic_Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

More TAI seconds have accumulated since 1972 than have UTC seconds
because the Earth is slowing down and so to keep UTC in sync with the
Earth it is necessary to occasionally "leap over", that is, "not count"
one of the seconds that TAI is a count of.

A leap second occuring:

TAI: ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 00 01 02 03 04 ...
UTC: ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 00 01 02 03 ...

I think it's a dumb idea.  It would make far more sense to simply
tabulate the leap seconds and apply the correction only when time is
prepared for presentation as we do with time zones.

That wouldn't work well. Remember, computers are not the only ones which use UTC - in fact they are the most imprecise. There are many clocks around the world which are synchronized with UTC via radio, i.e. WWV/WWVH in the United States, CHU in Canada, and other stations around the world.

Many scientists depend on the accuracy of these clocks, as to TV/Radio networks and lots of other people. The time needs to be accurate - and not just in the display.

Jerry