Re: Time Zone Questions

Ron Leach writes:
> Interesting.  The readme in Wheezy states that TAI includes 'leap
> seconds' (the extra seconds added - every so often, a year or so - to
> compensate for variations in Earth's rotation) and implies that the
> UTC time basis does *not* include the leap seconds.  I wonder if that
> difference accounts for most of the time difference, suggested by Don
> to be 35 seconds.

Other way around.  TAI does *not* include leap-seconds.  It is a
continuous stream of numbered seconds with no gaps and no insertions.
UTC *does* include leap seconds.  It is TAI adjusted to stay within one
second of Earth rotation time.  Leap seconds account for all of the
difference between UTC and TAI.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com