Re: Security Implications of running startx from command line - was Re: Startx: was Great Debian experience

On Fri 21 Mar 2014 at 14:25:14 +0100, Valerio Vanni wrote:

> "Brian" <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio
> [🔎] 21032014113647.c62190855751@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk">news:[🔎] 21032014113647.c62190855751@desktop.copernicus.demon.co.uk
>
> > For the situation when X is started with startx would 'startx & exit'
> > prevent the termination of an X session even if CTRL+ALT+FN etc gets
> > console access?
>
> I've always used "startx & exit", and it works perfectly.
> It doesn't prevent the termination of an X session, but if it's terminated
> you get a logon prompt as if you had just booted the machine.

Indeed.

I'll return to the suggestion to use DontVTSwitch. With a locked sceen
it is effective in preventing switching to a console with CTRL+ALT+FN
and chvt even if the sudo timeout hasn't been reached.

An unlocked screen plus 'ps ax' and 'kill' enable the bringing down of X
no matter what the length of the sudo timeout is or whether DontVTSwitch
is operational.