Re: Security Implications of running startx from command line - was Re: Startx: was Great Debian experience

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 09:52:03AM +0000, Brian wrote:
> In an xterm (with or without using DontVTSwitch):
>
>    brian@localhost:~$ chvt 4
>    Couldn't gat a file descriptor referring to the console
>
> Doubt no longer. :)

Try via sudo. (risk reduced to: X session left open, terminal left open,
non-expired sudo ticket in that terminal)

I'm still sure there will be many other ways to do it, although they may
require privileges to do so.

Having said all the above, I'd advocate using a display manager for the
vast majority of people.