Re: Security Implications of running startx from command line - was Re: Startx: was Great Debian experience

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 11:06:03AM +0000, Robin wrote:
> I may have missed something. If someone has physical access to your
> machine can't they just power off and go into single user mode and
> change the root password?

Maybe, maybe not. Console access doesn't have to mean complete access.
The scenario I always have in my head for these sorts of things is a
Computer Lab at a university/college. You can allow anyone to come up
and use the machine via the keyboard/mouse/VDU attached to it, but to
counter the attack vector you mention, you simply lock the computer
itself away in a secure cage under the desk. That also stops the
"security vector" of someone simply picking up the machine and walking
off with it ;)