Re: Great Debian experience

Am 19.03.2014 um 15:32 schrieb Ken Heard <kenslists@teksavvy.com>:

> My latest experience was a new installation of Wheezy in a new box.
> It took me the entire month of January to get the OS and essential
> applications to the point where the machine became usable.  Yes it
> works, but so does a Ford model T.  For example I wanted to use LVM
> but the attempt broke the installer.  I still have not got sound working.
>
> So what is the secret?

Don’t know. Maybe you are thinking too complicated.

The only things I need to care usually are

- maybe the installation needs firmware-nonfree
- choosing German keyboard
- choosing en-utf8

Desktops and laptops get whole disk or whole free space.

Development servers get RAID-1, LVM, XEN.

Production servers get RAID-1(0), LVM, DRBD, XEN.

Then I always do only a base install in the first step.

In the second step I choose a desktop environment (Gnome, or now back to KDE).

Usually everything (sound, wifi, trackpad etc.) works out of the box.

My smallest Debian box is a creditcard sized RaspberryPi, my largest a 2 node cluster, each node having 16 cores, 32 GB, and many VMs on it.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer