Re: .Xresources not loading on start

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:32:04PM +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:

||  So you mean to say that the resources were already being merged but
||  actually came into effect when I increased their priority or made them more
||  specific by add the class xterm* before the settings!

The default resources can be found (on my system) under
/etc/X11/app-defaults.

If you look in the files for xterm, you'll see the default resource
settings. The resources that you load yourself have to be at least as
specific as those, otherwise the defaults override yours. Prefixing with
xterm* normally makes your resources specific enough.

||  So my question is what do you mean by "Xterm", and then how is "xterm"
||  different?
||  I can guess it has something to do with the class of applications/ instance
||  of applications!

Play with editres. It's a bit clunky but may give you a feel about what
classes and instances mean.

By the way, the class for xterm is called XTerm, not Xterm.

Vincent.
--
Vincent Zweije <vincent@zweije.nl>   | "If you're flamed in a group you
<http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/>      | don't read, does anybody get burnt?"