Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 09:12:50PM +0400, Reco wrote:
>  Hi.
>
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 00:04:48 +1300
> Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Linux also use all available
> > memory?
>
> No. Linux will keep unused amount of memory equal to (in kbytes):
> /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes

Thanks for the pointer.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt

[...]
min_free_kbytes:

[...]
Some minimal amount of memory is needed to satisfy PF_MEMALLOC
allocations; if you set this to lower than 1024KB, your system will
become subtly broken, and prone to deadlock under high loads.
[...]

Microsoft have got theirs set wrong! :)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X