Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?

On Thu, 2014-03-06 at 20:16 -0500, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com
wrote:
> Are you guys cool with my friends, who would all be raw newbies,
> joining this list?

A few rhetorical questions:

What do your friends expect, if they switch from Windows to Linux? Do
they expect that they have to be self-responsible, do research on their
own, before they send requests to Linux mailing lists? Do they expect
that Linux isn't a replacement for Windows, but that Linux is a
completely different operating system? Why did they use XP until now and
why do they guess that now is a good time to switch from Windows to
Linux?

Did you tell your friends that they can be the same computer users they
were and when switching to Linux everything will be better, when using
the computer?

IOW are your friends aware, that they have to become another kind of
user? Are they aware, if they would not become another kind of computer
users, switching to Linux will make everything more worse, than it was
when using Windows?

Do your friends expect a Linux installed to a PC can be maintained in a
way to Android on a mobile phone?

Resume:

For some people it's good to use Linux, for other people it's better not
to use Linux, but to use Microsoft or Apple based PC operating systems.
Your friends need to start maintaining Linux user space. Just running
upgrades by a command often does work, but those who don't care about
what the upgrade does, soon or later will completely break their Linux
user space. Your friends can't go to the next supermarket and buy any
printer or other equipment, they need to take care about Linux
compatibility.

IMO it's wise to encourage some people to use Linux, but it's also wise
to recommend not to use Linux to some kinds of computer users.

I don't know your friends, you know your friends. I just wonder about
your question. Newbies are welcome! But for some people Linux likely
isn't a good choice.