Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 01:28:11 -0500
"Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com" <littdom@gmail.com> wrote:

> What followed XP was Vista, and who would do that to themselves. In my
> opinion (not that I'm an expert on Windows), Windows 7 wasn't much
> better. And Windows 8 is a confusing mess. I wouldn't upgrade from XP
> either, unless it was to Linux or BSD.

In the interests of balance, most people get their ideas about new
Windows versions from 'journalists'. Vista has its problems, the main
one being its insistence on running with zero free memory, filling the
machine with anything it thinks you might want to use, and therefore
being slow to open new documents. Windows 7 is enormously better and
quicker, Vista was effectively a beta Windows 7, released before it was
ready.

Windows 8 is... interesting. But it's a single click to get a proper
desktop, and having had to buy a new laptop a couple of weeks ago, I've
now almost got it behaving sanely. Except for ISC DHCP, which for some
reason offends it. I confirmed yesterday that it's fine on DHCP from a
BT Hub. But basically, the freaking-out about Win8 is mainly more
'journalism'.

> > and why do they guess that now is a good time to switch from Windows
> > to Linux?
>
> Microsoft's pulling the plug on XP updates, including security
> updates, which makes XP extremely vulnerable.

Hence my new laptop, I have hardware and software which can be used only
with Windows. Also, my old drive has thrown up a couple of minor errors
in recent months, but the machine is over eight years old.

To get back on topic, I'm fairly sure that in the past, an expert Stable
install has offered me LXDE and Xfce desktops in addition to Gnome and
KDE, at the installation stage I mean, not manually adding them later.
I don't have the means of checking at the moment, I normally do
netinstalls. That does, of course, mean answering some questions,
including the 'domain' one which throws newbies, but you can probably
come up with a sensible answer script for them.

--
Joe