Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 05:31:56 +0100
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-03-06 at 20:16 -0500, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com
> wrote:
> > Are you guys cool with my friends, who would all be raw newbies,
> > joining this list?
>
> A few rhetorical questions:
>
> What do your friends expect, if they switch from Windows to Linux?

This is multiple people. Publishers and authors mostly. I'd imagine
they'd expect to run LyX, Inkscape, Gimp, LibreOffice, get and send
email, and browse the web.

> Do
> they expect that they have to be self-responsible, do research on
> their own, before they send requests to Linux mailing lists?

I think so.

> Do they
> expect that Linux isn't a replacement for Windows, but that Linux is a
> completely different operating system?

I'm not sure that's true. Windows people write content, and I write
content. Windows people make eBooks, and I make eBooks. Windows XP
people use a taskbar with a start menu, and so do LXDE people, and also
Xfce people who know how to configure.

> Why did they use XP until now

What followed XP was Vista, and who would do that to themselves. In my
opinion (not that I'm an expert on Windows), Windows 7 wasn't much
better. And Windows 8 is a confusing mess. I wouldn't upgrade from XP
either, unless it was to Linux or BSD.

> and why do they guess that now is a good time to switch from Windows
> to Linux?

Microsoft's pulling the plug on XP updates, including security updates,
which makes XP extremely vulnerable.

> Did you tell your friends that they can be the same computer users
> they were and when switching to Linux everything will be better, when
> using the computer?

I forgot to. I did, however, tell them that Debian Stable is extremely
dependable.

> IOW are your friends aware, that they have to become another kind of
> user? Are they aware, if they would not become another kind of
> computer users, switching to Linux will make everything more worse,
> than it was when using Windows?

I think they are. I advised them to get a spare machine, install Linux
on it a few times to learn the ropes, before installing it on their
good machines.

> Do your friends expect a Linux installed to a PC can be maintained in
> a way to Android on a mobile phone?

Oh HeckNo! They're shaking in their boots that big bad Linux will be
too much for their brains. But they're really beginning to hate
Microsoft.

Thanks,

SteveT