Re: Brainless Debian Stable installation and usage?

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 00:04:48 +1300
Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 08:47:27AM +0000, Joe wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 01:28:11 -0500
> > "Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com" <littdom@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > What followed XP was Vista, and who would do that to themselves.
> > > In my opinion (not that I'm an expert on Windows), Windows 7
> > > wasn't much better. And Windows 8 is a confusing mess. I wouldn't
> > > upgrade from XP either, unless it was to Linux or BSD.
> >
> > In the interests of balance, most people get their ideas about new
> > Windows versions from 'journalists'. Vista has its problems, the
> > main one being its insistence on running with zero free memory,
> > filling the machine with anything it thinks you might want to use,
> > and therefore being slow to open new documents. Windows 7 is
> > enormously better and quicker, Vista was effectively a beta Windows
> > 7, released before it was ready.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Linux also use all available
> memory?

Depends. I have huge RAM in some machines, so it doesn't unless I'm
working the machine hard. But mostly it does. For instance, my 4GB RAM
desktop I'm working with right now looks like this:

4038752 total,  3512564 used,   526188 free,

So it's using almost 90% of my RAM.

I think Joe's point was that journalists run Windows with all sorts of
creeping crud programs running, and evaluate it that way.

Thanks,

SteveT