Re: Firmware stuff - was systemd fight

On Mon, 3 Mar 2014, Doug wrote:

On 03/03/2014 12:56 AM, Bret Busby wrote:Debian; why provision is not made, to allow software that runs on Debian 5, to run on Debian 6 and Debian 7.

As a single example, I have a multifunction printer, of which, the multifunctionality worked with Debian 5. Now, it is only a laser printer, running with Debian 6 - to use it to scan, I have to scan to a USB drive, and then copy the files to the computer, as Debian 6 (and, I believe, similarly, Debian 7) does not provide for the device to wotk with it, other than using a printer driver that is not for the particular model range, and, losing all other interfaced functionality.

Surely, it must be possible, to provide backward compatibility, to allow software that ran on earlier versions of Debian, to run on a current stable version?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

--doug

xsane simply says "no devices found" or somesuch similar message.

Whilst the device had been able to work with Debian 5, it simply does not work with Debian Linux after Debian 5, other than using a printer driver for, I think the Samsung CL317x series.

Debian 6 apparently made most printers "paperweight" or "sopmetimes works", in functionality.

Something significant, changed between Debian Linux 5 and Debian Linux 6, that reduced the functionality of the operating system.

The device is a Samsung CLX3185FW, and it had drivers that worked with Debian 5.

The printer, and, from what I have seen, it equally applies to most printers that were "Linux-compatible" is/are not compatible with Debian Linux after Debian Linux v5.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."