Re: Partial success and strange partial failure -was [Re: Physically have install DVD set. Want ISO's from which they came.]

Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 02/03/14 11:39, Richard Owlett wrote:
Brian wrote:
On Sat 01 Mar 2014 at 14:38:14 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

Created myiso1.iso from Wheezy(7.1) DVD 1 of 10 using dd and then
used dd to copy it to a USB flash drive.

I was able to boot from the flash drive and do several installs
(different DE's).

*HOWEVER* I can *NOT* mount the flash drive to view files. Tried

d-i knows how to mount the ISO (otherwise all your installs would have
failed). Now - what does it know that you don't? :)

You be only one claiming omniscience ;/

For some reason your posts have broken threads and I can't find the
first one. :/

This thread begins at https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/02/thrd3.html#01175 A related thread begins at https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/02/msg00922.html

From memory you said you'd created a large CD, but didn't say whether
you used the iso9660 or udf filesystem, and then dded it to a Flash key
- in which case the Flash key will have an iso or udf file system as the
first slice, and the remaining space will be un-used.

My starting point is a purchased multi DVD set of Wheezy(7.1.0).
My goal is a single bootable flash drive with an unstated presumption that it would be formatted FAT16 or FAT32. isoinfo reports the flash drive is ISO 9660.

Have you tried mounting the key "-t iso9660" or udf?

No. See "unstated presumption" above ;/

NOTE: d-i will "see" the Flash key as an iso image if my understanding
of what you're doing is correct - which means it's already mounted when
you try and "view the files". Try running the mount command and seeing
if it's already mounted - if not use the "-o loop -t $isoORudf" to mount
the key. You don't say *when* you try to mount it (during the install?)
or how.

My BIOS recognized the flash drive and I was able to do normal installs. I did separate installs of Lxde and Xfce. File managers in neither recognized the flash drive. Nor did my Squeeze install with Gnome2.

Have you considered just formatting the key with ext and copying the
install isos to it - then using GRUB to make it bootable?

I would want FAT so I could exchange data with my WinXP machine.

GRUB can boot the first iso in any Debian release, the Debian installer
can load additional iso images (apt-cdrom).

Kind regards