Re: Partial success and strange partial failure -was [Re: Physically have install DVD set. Want ISO's from which they came.]

On 02/03/14 22:06, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Scott Ferguson wrote:

If you can install from it, you can mount it (think about it) - perhaps
you need to be root?

>>> You be only one claiming omniscience ;/
>>>

>> For some reason your posts have broken threads and I can't find the
>> first one. :/
>
> This thread begins at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/02/thrd3.html#01175
> A related thread begins at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/02/msg00922.html
>

>>> From memory you said you'd created a large CD, but didn't say whether
>> you used the iso9660 or udf filesystem, and then dded it to a Flash key
>> - in which case the Flash key will have an iso or udf file system as the
>> first slice, and the remaining space will be un-used.
>
> My starting point is a purchased multi DVD set of Wheezy(7.1.0).
> My goal is a single bootable flash drive with an unstated presumption
> that it would be formatted FAT16 or FAT32. isoinfo reports the flash
> drive is ISO 9660.

Then you should have used cat/cp to tranfer the *data* instead of dd to
*duplicate* the *slice* (file system, boot sector, and data). Refer to
the post from the maintainer/author of the cd creation software for more
(authoritive) details.

Your goal, with the now stated "presumption"/implementation is
achievable using GRUB. Copy the isos to the FAT/UDF(see further down
this post) Flash key - then install GRUB - then edit GRUB so it boots
the first iso *image* (the first Debian iso from each release is
bootable). Then you can boot from a FAT/UDF formatted Flash key - choose
the iso from the GRUB menu and begin the install, during the install
you'll be able to add additional CDs (negating the
build-one-massive-cd-from-multiple-cds-step).

>> Have you tried mounting the key "-t iso9660" or udf?
>
> No. See "unstated presumption" above ;/

I guess your missing my point - if you dd an iso file system to a drive
it (the drive) will then have the same (bit perfect) file system as what
you dded. i.e. if you dd an ext4 file system the drive you dd it to will
also have the *identical* ext4 slice, likewise with an iso9660 file system.

>> NOTE: d-i will "see" the Flash key as an iso image if my understanding
>> of what you're doing is correct - which means it's already mounted when
>> you try and "view the files". Try running the mount command and seeing
>> if it's already mounted - if not use the "-o loop -t $isoORudf" to mount
>> the key. You don't say *when* you try to mount it (during the install?)
>> or how.
>
> My BIOS recognized the flash drive and I was able to do normal installs.

Yes. It will - whether it "sees" the Flash key as an iso, ext or FAT
formatted fs.

> I did separate installs of Lxde and Xfce. File managers in neither
> recognized the flash drive. Nor did my Squeeze install with Gnome2.

Simple test - if the Flash key is /dev/sdb try (as root):-
mount -o loop -t iso9660 /dev/sdb /mt;ls /mnt

>> Have you considered just formatting the key with ext and copying the
>> install isos to it - then using GRUB to make it bootable?
>
> I would want FAT so I could exchange data with my WinXP machine.

That'll work. Although... FAT16/32 and the other versions have
limitations. May I suggest UDF. WinXP needs a driver (from MS) installed
- but it will then recognize UDF - that'll free you from slice size
limitations.

<snipped>

Kind regards