Partial success and strange partial failure -was [Re: Physically have install DVD set. Want ISO's from which they came.]

Richard Owlett wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
David wrote:
[snip]

The first link I provided is still valid, and provides
instructions
how to create an
iso file from cd media. Did you try this? What happens when you
follow
those instructions?

I made one attempt but dd effectively ignored me. A reply in this
thread and a reread of your first link suggests a typo. Will try
again this afternoon.

Made attempts to follow the link's example - ran into mechanical
problems.
Tomorrow is another day.

Created myiso1.iso from Wheezy(7.1) DVD 1 of 10 using dd and then used dd to copy it to a USB flash drive.

I was able to boot from the flash drive and do several installs (different DE's).

*HOWEVER* I can *NOT* mount the flash drive to view files. Tried file managers that are automatically installed with Wheezy Gnome, Lxde, and Xfce. Also tried Gnome under Squeeze. WinXP reports drive not formatted. Gparted under Squeeze reports it as unknown format but will mount it as /dev/usb0 and file list displayable.

This is unacceptable for y project goals.
I'll be rereading what the Installation Guide says about installing from a flash device.

A cut-n-paste of terminal output when creating the flash drive attached.

root@minimal-squeeze:/home/richard# isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id:
Volume id: Debian 7.1.0 i386 1
Volume set id:
Publisher id:
Data preparer id: XORRISO-1.2.6 2013.01.08.103001, LIBISOBURN-1.2.6, LIBISOFS-1.2.6, LIBBURN-1.2.6
Application id:
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set sequence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 1939608
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 8946
Joliet with UCS level 3 found
Rock Ridge signatures version 1 found
Eltorito validation header:
    Hid 1
    Arch 0 (x86)
    ID ''
    Key 55 AA
    Eltorito defaultboot header:
        Bootid 88 (bootable)
        Boot media 0 (No Emulation Boot)
        Load segment 0
        Sys type 0
        Nsect 4
        Bootoff AF5E 44894
root@minimal-squeeze:/home/richard# dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=1939608 of=/home/richard/myiso1.iso conv=notrunc
1939608+0 records in
1939608+0 records out
3972317184 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 711.022 s, 5.6 MB/s
root@minimal-squeeze:/home/richard# dd if=/home/richard/myiso1.iso bs=2048 count=1939608 of=/dev/sdb conv=notrunc
1939608+0 records in
1939608+0 records out
3972317184 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 1591.35 s, 2.5 MB/s
root@minimal-squeeze:/home/richard#