Re: making sound work in Jessie - how?

On 12/13/2014 3:43 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:
What packages should I make sure are properly installed? Where can I
find a check list of what needs to be done. While I'm typing this I
realize I might need to become a member of a special access group, but
what is the name of the group? These are things about which I need
up-to-date info, and there is mostly stale info on google (By stale, I
mean from the dark ages before the coming of Pulse.) But maybe my
problem has nothing to do with Pulse or systemd. Please suggest test
to make and information to give.
Gnome has used pulseaudio for a while now, KDE started using it too, don't know about the other desktops.

In a terminal window issue the command

dpkg -s pulseaudio

If that produces a result that makes it look like pulseaudio is installed then look for
~/.pulse/

Edit (creating it if you have to) a file named

client.conf

add this line of text to client.conf

autospawn = no

Then in a terminal window issue the command

pactl exit

If that gives you an error try

pulseaudio --kill

Try something that plays audio. If audio works....

For me personally the follow up to that on my system was, in a terminal window issue the commands

cp /etc/xdg/autostart/pulse*.desktop ~/.config/autostart
cd ~/.config/autostart
ls pulse*

for each pulseaudio*.desktop file that exists, open it in a text editor (gedit, kate, nano, etc...)
find the 'Exec=' line and comment it out with a '#' symbol at the beginning of the line

#Exec=start-pulseaudio-x11

Later, Seeker