Re: making sound work in Jessie - how?

On 12/13/2014 09:40 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:
On 20141213_1926-0500, Ric Moore wrote:
On 12/13/2014 06:43 PM, Paul E Condon wrote:

What packages should I make sure are properly installed?

pavucontrol is usually missed. You need it to admin pulse. :) Ric
Linux user# 44256

Thanks for the email. But perhaps you could give me more.
I think my netinstall missed a whole bunch of stuff, like
the people configuring the install task package forgot
ot include a big bunch of stuff. When you installed the
sound on you computer what did you install manually,
not just the one that you are always kicking yourself for
forgetting, the nine yards.

You should have synaptic installed to help you select packages first. I couldn't live without it! Then make sure you have alsa installed completely. next search on pulse and install pavucontrol which is not installed by default. I've bitched about that, as you cannot admin pulse without it.

So, for sound, alsa is what everything depends on. So, run alsamixer from a terminal command line. Make sure your audio devices are not muted and sound levels a point or two from being 100% high. If alsa doesn't work, pulse has no chance since it sits on top of alsa.

Then run pavucontrol and you'll get a graphical admin front-end for pulse. .

Linux user# 44256